Friday, April 2, 2010

Shanghai & Beijing

Hello experts! I am travelling to China on business next week. I%26#39;m looking forward to seeing a little bit of your country.





I will have one day in Shanghai before my meeting in Sanya and two days in Beijing on the way home. Here are my questions:





I%26#39;m a large person and I%26#39;m wondering if I should be prepared for the possibility of being teased because of that. I am reading that it is not unlikely that I might be taunted in my travels simply because of being a foreigner. I can handle any of that, I just want to know ahead of time how bad it might be.





I understand that eating is a group activity, but on my days before and after my meeting, I will be on my own. Is it unheard of to see people eating alone? I%26#39;d like to try to find at least one very good restaurant as long as I won%26#39;t be uncomfortable. I imagine also, that the best known restaurants will also have English speaking staff?





Thanks so much for any advice! Michele



Shanghai %26amp; Beijing


Oops - sorry about the duplicate posting - I was sure the first one didn%26#39;t go but should have checked. Good night all. :)



Shanghai %26amp; Beijing


I would be surprised if you are teased. You may get comments at the markets like ';we have your size';, but thats just letting you know that they carry larger sizes.





We visited Shanghai and Beijing last year and found the Chinese people to very friendly, warm and welcoming. We had a great time and cant wait to go back.





You wouldnt be out of place eating alone and many places have English menus (often at different prices but still very cheap). We actually enjoyed the food court at the bottom of the Silk Market.





Enjoy




Thanks for the reply! I guess the books and online articles I%26#39;ve read are exaggerating things and I%26#39;m glad to hear that.





I hope to make it to the silk market as I have to look for some beautiful clothing as gifts for a couple of little girls ( 3 years old). I%26#39;ve been agonizing and researching endlessly to figure out where to shop for my one day in Shanghai and another in Beijing. I think my other day in Beijing will be for the Summer Palace (new).





Thanks again!




for silk or other fabric, you can go to Shanghai South Bund Soft-spinning Material Market



Here is the English website for it: http://www.sbs365.net/index-2e.html

No comments:

Post a Comment