Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shanghai & Beijing

Hello experts! I will be in China on business but will have one day in Shanghai before my business meetings in Sanya and two days in Beijing on the way home. Here are my questions:





I understand that eating is a group activity in China. Will I seem really strange if I go to a restaurant alone? I would really like to not be stuck eating at my hotels unless eating out will be uncomfortable. (I don%26#39;t speak Mandarin by the way.)





Also, I%26#39;m a larger person and I%26#39;m wondering how much, if any, teasing I may be subject. I%26#39;m reading that it would not be unlikely to be taunted simply for being a foreigner (America), but I expect being overweight would make it worse.?





Thanks very much for any advice. Michele



Shanghai %26amp; Beijing


In Beijing on one of the evenings you can combine a duck meal with the acrobatics or the Kung fu show.



Shanghai %26amp; Beijing


most Chinese people are very kind and willing to help you!



In Shanghai, you can see foreigners almost everywhere, we , local people don%26#39;t feel strange!



sometime you will meet some Chinese kids greeting to you=D




1) No.



2) No. People would stare but it%26#39;s most probably out of curiosity instead of any malicious intent.




Dear Michele,



you will face as much attention in Shanghai (China) as everywhere in the world (because of your size) Do not worry too much about that as people in China are very polite and will hardly comment that matter, except for some smaller children. Some of them might have not seen any foreigner att all (size does not matter)



If you want to have chinese food, just ask at the reception of your hotel if there are any restaurants close by with an english menue or at least a menue with pictures.



In case you want to have western food in Shanghai, go to Xin Tian Di, there you find German, Brasilian and French restaurant. They are used of one person dining, if that makes you feel more comfortable.




People from the cities won%26#39;t stare much at foreigners, but there are people from smaller towns visiting the city.





I don%26#39;t think people will tease you about our weight, but they *are* likely to ask how much you weigh, for example. I don%26#39;t think this is meant to be mean, they just don%26#39;t think of it as being rude to ask.





Traditionally, plumpness was associated with wealth and fortune--you will notice that some of the Buddhas are quite large! But more recently, people have been getting ideas from the west and are starting to have a more negative view towards it.


  • dermatologist
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment