Tuesday, March 30, 2010

best way to travel from beijing to shanghai

Firstly, a big thank you to JohnNiew for responding to query re shuttle bus to Harmony Hotel. We are talking the same hotel.





We would prefer to fly from Beijing to Shanghai to save time but have read many participants to the forum advising taking the overnight train. Please let us know if we do fly, would it be cheaper to buy tickets while we are in Beijing or shall we book in advance on the net? Any recommendation to booking sites would be most welcome. Any idea what would the fares cost? Do domestic flights depart from Beijing International Airport , if not where do they depart from? We shall be in Beijing during May 20 - May 26. Any advice will be much appreciated. Many thanks



best way to travel from beijing to shanghai


Taking overnight train to shanghai from beijing is very convenient, the cost for a soft sleeper is RMB499. Check the train timetable through www.adventurechinatrip.com/chinatrain.asp.





If you can get a discount air ticket, the price may be aroung RMB500, but you need to pay RMB130 extra as the tax. Besides, from the downtown beijing to Beijing International Airport, you also need a transportation. So my point is by overnight train is the best way.





The train ticket can be easily obtained, just go to the railway staion to buy.





Cheers



best way to travel from beijing to shanghai


most flights depart Beijing at intternational airport.




Buy tickets when you%26#39;re in Beijing. It%26#39;s too far in advance now to be pricing them, check back with me after the 1st week of May for realistic discounted prices.




And yes, they will depart from the same airport as you%26#39;re coming in on.




I found the railway station to be pretty intimidating, with loads of people in the square outside the station and loudspeakers blaring out some kind of info. The experience is quite unlike any other railways stations I have come across. I had the opportunity to take a train from Hefei to Shanghai with a friend and I would say maybe not again. Plane tickets can be bought at hotel desks and to me, are far more convenient than the train. It is not much pricier, esp. between the big cities, and definitely more flexible. But this is personal preference. I can%26#39;t sleep in trains anyway and do not want to arrive tired. I took the airport bus in Beijing on two occasions and think it is convenient but just about fine for one with a rucksack.




I LOVE the overnight train from Beijing to Shanghai. The train rocks me to sleep and if that doesn%26#39;t wok, an ambien always will. Flying in China is no different that flying anywhere else. You might as well eat at McDonalds while your at it. The train has CHARACTER. You%26#39;ll meet real people and have a more cultural experience. Plus, if money is a big issue, rmember you won%26#39;t be paying for a hotel the night you are on the train. A boxed dinner is even included in the price of a soft sleeper.



One of my favorite memories of China happened on an overnight train in the hard sleeper section. In the middle of the night I got up to go to the bathroom and as I was walking down the hallway, this very old Chinese woman was on a top bunk trying to get down, but she needed some help and I guess didn%26#39;t want to wake her family. I walked over to her and asked if I could help her down. (I don%26#39;t speak any Chinese, but some things are just universal) She grinned and let me help her. I waited until she got back from her bathroom trip and then helped her back up , which involved quite a bit of pushing her rather large bum from underneath. Once she was back in place on her bunk, she smiled and talked to me for a few minutes and I smiled back and nodded a lot. I didn%26#39;t understand a word of it, but I got it. I treasure that memory. Nothing like that has every happened to me on a PLANE!!!




bazoeker: I guess you must%26#39;ve tried taking a train during the Spring Festival period recently? That%26#39;s the worst time to be taking any train in China.



purplepearl: Great to hear about your unique experience! :)




thank you to all who responded to request. You all are great!




thank you to all who responded to request. You all are great!


  • dermatologist
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment