Monday, December 12, 2011

Beijing and Shanghai - itinerary help

Hey all! I%26#39;m going to be in Asia from March 11 - April 9. The first part of my trip will be in Beijing by myself. I am doing a guided tour with some friends from 3/16 - 18 where we will be hitting the usual Beijing highlights. I figure to be rid of jet-lag and whatnot by the 12th (I know my body pretty well). Is it worth it for me to see a different section of the Great Wall by myself? The group will go to Badaling, but I was thinking of doing Jinshanling to Simatai as a hike by myself. Also, I wanted to go to Tai Shan and hike halfway up the mountain one day, then stay at a hotel /hostel halfway up, then hike up to see the sunrise. Has anyone done this before? Do I need to have reservations for accomodations. I was going to do this on a Monday - Tuesday. Finally, what should I do in Beijing that%26#39;s off the normal tourist radar? I love being immersed in local culture and don%26#39;t mind being the only Westerner.





This trip will be my second time to Shanghai - I was there on business and didn%26#39;t get to see much of it at all. I will be traveling with my college roommate. We know what we want to do in the city, but for side trips we were going to do as follows:



Hangzhou overnight - explore the city, bike around the lake area.



Travel to Moganshan the next day, hike around and stay overnight



Travel back to Hangzhou and take the overnight boat to Suzhou



Suzhou for the day, back to Shanghai at night



Fly to Tokyo the next day





Please let me know any critiques or comments you have. I really appreciate it!



Beijing and Shanghai - itinerary help


It sounds like you%26#39;re an avid adventure traveller. By all means skip Badaling and go on your own to Jinshanling--Simatai instead!



Your plan for Taishan sounds good, don%26#39;t think you need to book in advance for accommodation. How are you getting out of Taishan? It can be difficult to secure any decent train tickets, so you might have to go to Jinan if you%26#39;re heading out by train.



Moganshan is a bit too cool in this season. You might want to consider Anji instead.



The rest of your itinerary sounds fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment